Issue attachments are files that can be uploaded to issues. These files can then be downloaded and distributed in relation to the issue. This feature allows you to add supporting information to issues and knowledge base articles.
- There's no limit on the number of files that can be attached to an issue.
- There's no limit on the type of files that can be attached to an issue.
- Cloud-based Issuetrak systems have a set limitation of 200mb per attachment.
- Premise customers can set their own attachment size limits (read below).
How to Activate Attachments
To activate attachments you will need to log in as a SysAdmin.
- Navigate to System Settings (gear icon at the top right).
- Click Features under the System Settings menu on the left.
- Check the box for Use Attachments in the Attachments section (You can also specify an attachment Max Size limit).
- Click Update.
Attachments are now active and ready to use in your system.
Increasing the Attachment Size Limit
Premise customers can adjust the size limits on their attachments. By default, the maximum file size that can be uploaded by IIS is 200 KB. Although you can set the file size limit inside Issuetrak, the server is still dependent on the settings in IIS.
Here is a knowledge base article that details the steps needed to increase the attachment size limit on your Issuetrak IIS server: How to allow large attachments in Windows Server
Attachment Menu Option:
You can add attachments by using the attachment menu option link on the left menu when viewing, editing, and deleting an issue. After clicking the Attachments menu option, you can add, delete, and block attachments.
There are a few different ways that you can add attachments to issues.
- Paper Clip icon:
The paper clip icon appears at the top of the view and edit issue screens. You can simply drag files from your machine to the paper clip icon to attach files to issues. Dragging multiple attachments is also supported. Clicking on the paper clip icon will display a pop-up attachment menu where you can view the list of files attached to the issue. The attachment pop-up window also allows you to add, delete, and block attachments.
- Attachments on Submit:
When submitting an issue, there is a checkbox option Include Attachment(s)? where an upload screen will display on submit. After populating the issue and clicking the submit button you will be taken to the attachment menu where you can upload attachments to the newly submitted issue.
- IEM Attachments (Optional when using the Incoming Email Module):
Attachments can also be mailed in to the system to be included on existing issues when submitting issues through the incoming email module.
Attachments can be blocked from being processed into Issuetrak when submitted through an IEM mailbox. The most commonly blocked attachments are signature attachments that are sent in often. This reduces the number of attachments coming into the system and also saves space on the server hosting Issuetrak.
For more information on blocked attachments:
View our Help Center Article Blocked Attachments.
Other entities that can have attachments:
- KB articles
Send an attachment with Email Issue
Attachments can be emailed out of the Issuetrak system by using the Email Issue feature. This is the only way to send an attachment by email.
To send an attachment:
- View an issue with an attachment that you want to email (emailing an issue can only be done from the view issue page).
- Click the Email Issue option at the top of the issue.
- Select your preference whether to include private notes:
- Choose OK to include.
- Choose Cancel to not include.
- On the Email Issue pop-up select include attachments? checkbox. This will allow you to email all issue attachments from Issuetrak to your specified recipients.
- Continue to fill out the email issue form and click Send.