To activate your system's outgoing email capabilities, including system-generated email notifications and user-initiated messages from the email issue and email article links:
- Go to Administration > System > System Settings > System Defaults.
- Select Use Outgoing Email under Outgoing Email Settings.
- Under Outgoing Mail Server Configuration, enter the name of the SMTP server sending your site's email as the Email Server. You can use a DNS name such as smtp.mycompany.com or an IP address.
- If your server is configured for TLS Encryption, check the box Use TLS Encryption and modify the port setting if necessary. The default TLS port is 587.
- If authentication is required for the mail server you specified, select the Use Authentication checkbox to display the Username and Password fields and enter the required information.
- Enter an email address for the Email Sender Address (e.g. “email@example.com”). This value will be the default From/Reply To address for all system-generated email. Unless User is selected in step 9, this will also be the default From/Reply To address for all user-initiated emails.
- Enter a name/title for the Email Sender Name (e.g. “Your Service Team”). This value will be the default the From/Reply To name in emails sent from the system.
- To test the mail server information provided, click the Test Mail Server button. A new window will appear and allow you to enter an email address to receive a test email via the server information provided.
If the test is successful, a green message will appear below the To Address field that states Connection Successful. If the test is unsuccessful, a red message will appear with details to assist in resolving the connection issue. If you cannot achieve a successful connection after correcting the specified settings, please contact our Support Team for assistance at 757-213-1351, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Support Site.
- Under Outgoing Email Settings, select a Return Email Address Default for user-initiated emails.
- The System will default to the Email Sender and Email Sender Name defined for a system-generated email in steps 6 and 7.
- The User will default to the email address and name of the user initiating the email.
- To format outgoing messages using HTML, select Use HTML Format for Outgoing Email.
- To override the built-in default that excludes users on a distribution list from notification of events they themselves initiate, select Email to Initiator.
- To send email notifications to distribution list members with On Note selected when issue Substatuses change, select Send Email on Substatus Change.
- To include a Suppress Email Notifications option on the View and Edit Issues screens, select Allow Suppression of Email Notifications for Issues. To display this option to Agents only (which we strongly recommend), select Only Allow for Agents.
- Select the order to display notes within email notifications.
- Ascending Order will display oldest to newest.
- Descending Order will display newest to oldest.
- Click Update.
A confirmation message will appear when this process is complete.
Viewing the Email Log
A list of all email messages sent by the system within the last seven days is available from Administration > System > System Settings > Email Settings > View Email Log.
From here, you may select a Search On option, enter a search value, and click Search to filter/search the list. The list will re-populate with messages matching the criteria.
You may use the Previous and Next buttons to page through the list. Clicking on a column heading will sort the list by the column’s values. View Body links will allow you to view the content of a message in a separate window.