This guide is intended to assist the Issuetrak administrator with using the Issuetrak Deployment Utility (IDU) to upgrade an existing installation of Issuetrak. The IDU provides granular control over the deployment of our product. If you want maximum involvement in the deployment of Issuetrak, and you're comfortable with using PowerShell and hand-editing configuration files, then the IDU is for you. If you just want to install or upgrade Issuetrak without any special requirements, then we recommend that you use the Issuetrak Deployment Manager (IDM), which provides a graphical interface and a wizard to help you deploy our product, while retaining a fair degree of control over how the site is installed. You can get to the IDM upgrade guide here.
You can jump to the 11.0+ Table of Contents here.
This guide is only intended to be used after reading the information provided in the following articles:
The reader would be well-advised to read the supporting documentation listed above before proceeding with the steps outlined here.
Confirm that your current site is working:
- Ensure that you can navigate to your Issuetrak site.
- Confirm that you can sign into your site.
- Navigate to System Settings --> Email Settings, then click on Test Mail Server and confirm that you receive the test message that is sent.
- (If applicable) Navigate to your Incoming Email settings, and for each active mailbox click on the "Test Connection" button to confirm that it is working properly.
If you have a mailbox that is active but cannot connect or authenticate, then whomever is listed in the Notify on Error field will be sent an email every minute until this state is corrected.
- (If applicable) Ensure that you are able to authenticate to the site with your AD credentials.
Please ensure that your environment meets Issuetrak's system requirements. It may be necessary to add roles and features that aren't currently installed on the Web or SQL servers. Additional configuration beyond roles and features may also be required.
The upgrade utility will update Issuetrak‘s Classic and Core application pools to use .NET Framework v4.0 if they aren’t already set to that version. This can affect other sites that share the same application pools!
Download the latest Issuetrak distribution.
You will be prompted to enter your credentials to access our Support site in order to download the distribution.
Once you've downloaded the distribution, place it on the Web server and extract it. If it is necessary to transfer the distribution to another server after downloading it, be sure to unblock the zip file prior to extracting it.
Open the verb documentation to the Deploy section if you haven't already. Read through the possible parameters and make a decision on which of them you will need to use in the upgrade for your site(s).
- Open PowerShell with administrative privileges, then change directories to the location of the extracted 11.0 distribution.
- We will now use the IDU to scan the web server for existing Issuetrak instances and generate a JSON named filename.json based on its findings. Note that no particular name or extension needs to be given to the file.
.\issuetrak.deployment.utility generatedeploymentconfiguration -i Your.Issuetrak.Site --outfile "path\yoursite.json"
- Open the file yoursite.json in a text editor.
- Make any additional changes to the JSON that are necessary for your environment. For example, if migrating the database is an intermediate step that's being taken during this upgrade, make sure that the JSON points to the correct database server, with correspondingly correct credentials.
- Decide which contexts you want to deploy. In this example, we'll perform an upgrade without specifying the context. This will therefore make the IDU default to deploying all contexts of Issuetrak 11.0. Within the PowerShell window, enter the following:
.\issuetrak.deployment.utility deploy -c filename.json
The IDU will ask you whether you accept the terms of service at https://www.issuetrak.com/terms-of-service/. If you accept the terms, the IDU will begin to carry out the upgrade. IDU output in the PowerShell window will indicate what it's doing and whether it succeeded at each step.
The default behavior of the IDU is to roll back the state of the website if the upgrade fails. However, this should not be relied upon for disaster recovery. The web files associated with the pre-upgrade iteration of Issuetrak are backed up unless otherwise specified in the JSON. The default backup location is a folder called backups located within the Issuetrak distribution. Backed up web files are located within a subfolder that has been named according to the site's title in IIS.
Get as much context from the PowerShell window as you can. Something as simple as a misspelled server name can cause the deployment to fail. If the root cause is unclear, proceed with the steps below:
- Open Explorer and navigate to your 11.0+ distribution folder.
- Open the Logs folder.
- Open the latest timestamped log file.
- Read the log and try to determine where the deployment failed.
- Change the JSON or your IDU command accordingly, then re-run the upgrade.
- If the deployment fails again, determine if it's the same problem or a new one, and re-apply the steps above as needed.
If the steps above failed, Issuetrak Support will be happy to troubleshoot or assist you with your upgrade. You can contact Support at 888-789-8725 (US & Canada), +1 757-213-1351 (International), firstname.lastname@example.org or https://support.issuetrak.com/.
Congratulations on your successful upgrade of Issuetrak! Even though this isn't a new deployment of Issuetrak for you, please consider reviewing our Post-Deployment Configuration article. You can add a degree of security to your site by applying DPAPI encryption to your Issuetrak site's connection strings, which is discussed in that article.
Additionally, consider contacting Support for assistance with cleaning up services after upgrading to 11.6 and above, as the Incoming Email Service is no longer used. You can contact Support at 888-789-8725 (US & Canada), +1 757-213-1351 (International), email@example.com or https://support.issuetrak.com/.